Yes! Today I am here to let you all know what is Zika Virus and all those things related to that. I am sure lot many of you are not aware what actually is Zika Virus.
Don’t worry, I am here to help you out!!
Zika is a virus that is spread mostly by mosquitoes. A mosquito bites an infected person and then passes those virus to other people. It is also known as Zika Fever. That is mainly the virus transmitted disease by Aedes mosquitoes. All of these mosquito borne diseases looks somewhat similar, but still the severity of the symptoms differs. Zika Virus can be transmitted through blood transfusion, sexual contact and from an infected mother to her unborn child during pregnancy. Sometimes people dont even realize that they are suffering from Zika.
History of Zika Virus
The cases of Zika Virus are first observed in Uganda in 1947 in monkeys which was later identified in human beings in 1952. With the conclusion of WHO, if Zika virus infection is observed during pregnancy, it can cause congenital brain abnormalities.
Zika Virus Symptoms
The symptoms can start showing up 2 to 7 days after infection and last for almost a week.
- Muscle & Joint Pain
- Skin rashes
If you feel that you are suffering from any of the Zika Virus symptoms, or if you have recently visited places where there was a Zika outbreak, it’s my personal advise to contact the doctor and get a test done immediately.
Impact of Zika Virus
- Its found to affect the immune system.
- Babies can have range of health issues and developmental delays.
- It can also lead to birth defects which can show abnormality in babies. The infected baby might not last full term of pregnancy or might gets miscarriage.
- It can also impact the functioning of brain of the sufferer.
Zika Virus in India
Through random sampling exercises, the detection of Zika virus in India is done. Steps have been taken to reduce the growth of mosquitoes and to control the spread of mosquito borne diseases like Dengue, Chikungunya, Malaria and Zika.
In Gujarat, Zika virus cases are observed first in Ahmedabad where the random presence of Zika is confirmed but no evidence about the source of virus.
How can Zika Virus be treated ?
As of now no such vaccines or treatment for Zika is found. Treatment and medications can be given for fever or any other symptoms which are causing discomfort or pain.
Plenty of rest and drinking lots of fluids, being hydrated is the remedy to prevent dehydration for an infected person. Also, its important to avoid non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs such as aspirin.
What are we currently facing ?
Mosquitoes are an increasing problem in major cities too these days. There are so many reasons for mosquitoes nuisance. They can spread serious illness. We are listening so many cases of dengue and chikungunya.
I am living in the middle of the city which is surrounded by a ground filled with stagnant water which is now used as a bin for all. Nearby is the hospital. The hospital waste is many times dropped near the water. No sweepers from the municipal corporation even want to take a minute to clean and do their job. I even thought of hiring a private sweeper who can at least keep my surroundings clean. So that me and my family can stay out of illness spread through water borne diseases.
Growing mosquitoes is a very big problem for me. I really care a lot of my family and specifically my baby.I don’t want a single mosquito to bite my baby. I am very much conscious. There are hundreds of thousands of families who have to deal with this mosquito issues. People just came around the water logged place and throw their stinking garbages daily. We have to deal with those and during Rainy season we have to deal with this garbage piles on the roads which flows with that water. No one just cares about their unhealthy atmosphere around. As roads are becoming dumping grounds, mosquitoes are growing just like hell. When i take my baby in the park inside our society in evening time to make her play for an hour, its even difficult to sit for a few minutes as there are lots of mosquitoes in our area.
This blood sucking insects are really a big huge problem for me and I am very much serious to find some solution to save myself and my family from that.
How to keep yourself safe from Zika Virus ?
- Wear EPA-approved insect repellent.
- Take all protective measures to keep yourself safe from getting infected.
- Wear light-weight, long-sleeve shirts and pants.
- Use screens on your windows and doors.
- Prefer no water loggings found inside or around your house.
- Aedes mosquitoes breeds in fresh water so we have to make sure to throw out the water collected in buckets, bottles or plants etc.
- Avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes when stepping outside.
- Use mosquito repellent like Goodknight Fabric Roll-on, patches or cool gel before you move out. Mind well, these provides 8 hours of protection.
- Use mosquito nets to protect babies younger than two months.
- Use Goodknight to keep your house free of mosquitoes.
- Whenever you feel like you were at some places where there is a Zika outbreak, get your tests done immediately.
Stay alert and keep yourself protected from these blood sucking mosquitoes is the best tip.